I- Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 1 cup cooked brown rice;
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef (96%);
- 1 cup onions, diced;
- Salt and pepper, to taste;
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce;
- 2 Tbsp ketchup;
- 1 Tbsp mustard;
- 1 Tbsp pickle relish;
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce;
- 3 Tbsp water;
- 1 cup lite cheddar cheese, mozzarella or blend, shredded;
- 4 large red bell peppers, yellow or orange (each about 3½ inches high and 3½ inches wide).
- Cook rice and set aside.
- Cut off the top of 4 bell peppers about 1-inch down from the top.
- Clean out seeds and membranes. Throw away the tops.
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- In a large nonstick pan, brown ground beef and onions.
- Season beef with a little salt and pepper.
- Be sure to break up ground beef into small pieces as it cooks.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, pickle relish, tomato sauce and 3 tablespoons water. Mix well.
- Stir in 3/4 cup shredded cheese and cooked rice. Mix well and continue to cook until heated through.
- Add 1-2 more tablespoons of water, if getting a little dry. Remove from heat.
- Stuff each bell pepper with ground beef mixture, top each stuffed pepper with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese.
- Place each in a 9-inch baking dish. Pour 1 cup water in the bottom of baking dish.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes. If peppers are not soft enough, cook about 5 minutes more.
- Once cooked, cooled and wrapped, they freeze great.
III- Nutrition Facts for 1 stuffed pepper:
- 349 calories,
- Fat: 12g;
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 78mg;
- Protein: 32g;
- Carbs: 33g;
- Sugar: 9g.
Smart Points Value : 8
Want to Eat Tasty and Healthy?
Recipes delivered right to your inbox!