Slow Cooker Wild Rice Healthy Soup
I- Ingredients for 8 Servings
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 large (about 1 pound) sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Old Bay seasoning
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 large handfuls of kale, roughly chopped with thick stems removed
- Kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- Combine vegetable stock, wild rice, mushrooms, garlic, carrots, celery, sweet potato, onion,bay leaf and Old Bay seasoning in the bowl of an Instant Pot pressure cooker.
- Stir briefly to combine.
- Cover and set vent to “sealing”.
- Cook on manual (high pressure) for 25 minutes.
- Let the Instant Pot rest there for an extra 10 minutes (natural release).
- Then carefully turn the vent to “venting” and release the remaining pressure (quick release.
- Remove lid and discard the bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, during those final 10 minutes of pressure cooking, prepare your cream sauce on the stove.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the butter over medium-high heat until melted.
- Whisk in the flour until combined, and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually add in the milk, and whisk until combined.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the mixture nearly comes to a simmer and has thickened. (It should be very thick.)
- Add the cream sauce and kale to the soup, and stir gently until combined.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper (plus any extra Old Bay seasoning, if you would like) as needed.
- Serve warm, Or transfer to sealed container(s) and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
III- Nutrition facts per 1 Cup (1/8th of recipe)
- 260 Calories;
- Fat: 7g;
- Saturated fat: 4g;
- Cholesterol: 20mg;
- Carbs: 40g;
- Fiber: 5g;
- Sugar: 10g;
- Protein: 8g.
More healthy recipes you'll like:
Want to Eat Tasty and Healthy?
They'll get delivered right to your inbox!