- 10 corn tortillas (small, cut into 1/4-inch wide strips)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup vidalia onion (1 medium onion, peeled and diced small )
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 4 garlic cloves (peeled and finely minced)
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 29 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves (fresh, finely minced)
- Avocado (diced, for serving, optional for serving)
- Shredded cheese (optional for serving)
- Sour cream (optional for serving)
- The Tortilla Strips:
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or foil to save cleanup time
- Loosely scatter the tortilla strips, evenly drizzle with olive oil, evenly sprinkle with kosher salt
- Toss with hands to coat evenly, and bake for about 15 to 18 minutes
- While strips bake, begin making the soup.
- The Soup:
- To a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add 2 Tbsp olive oil and heat over medium-high heat to warm.
- Add the onion, jalapeno, and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir intermittently.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes and juice, black beans, chicken, corn, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, 2 teaspoons salt, pepper, smoked paprika, optional cayenne pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Allow mixture to boil gently for about 5 to 7 minutes. If you prefer your soup to have more broth, add 1 to 2 cups of water
- Add the cilantro and boil 1 minute.
- Taste soup and add salt to taste.
- The Tortilla Soup:
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with tortilla strips to taste, optionally garnish with avocado, cheese and/or sour cream; serve immediately.
- Soup will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Extra tortilla strips will keep in airtight at room temp for up to 5 days.
III- Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 medium cup
- 347 Calories;
- Fat: 12g;
- Saturated fat: 2g;
- Cholesterol: 30mg;
- Carbs: 45g;
- Fiber: 7g;
- Sugar: 5g;
- Protein: 16g.
Share the recipe:
More healthy recipes you'll love:
Want to Eat Tasty and Healthy?
They'll get delivered right to your inbox!