I- Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 1 medium spaghetti squash or 2 small spaghetti squash;
- 1 1/2 lbs. Italian chicken sausage, casings removed;
- 1 yellow onion, diced;
- 4 cloves garlic, minced;
- 1 bunch kale;
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling;
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, roasted;
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place squash in the microwave for 3-4 minutes to soften.
- Using a sharp knife cut the squash in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Place the halves, with the cut side up, on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until you can poke the squash easily with a fork.
- Let cool until you can handle it safely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the kale by removing the center stems and either tearing or cutting up the leaves.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken sausage and break apart with a spatula to crumble.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring regularly, until the sausage is browned and cooked through.
- Add the kale and stir.
- Cook for a few minutes more to wilt the kale.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once cooled, scrape the insides of the spaghetti squash with a fork to shred the squash into strands.
- Transfer the strands into the skillet with the sausage and toss to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture among the squash shells, and then top with pine nuts and parsley to serve.
III- Nutrition Facts per serving (1/4th):
- 320 Calories;
- Fat: 18g;
- Saturated fat: 1.5g;
- Cholesterol: 0mg;
- Carbs: 41g;
- Fiber: 4g;
- Sugar: 1g;
- Protein: 8g.
Want to Eat Tasty and Healthy?
Recipes delivered right to your inbox!