I- Ingredients for 6 servings:
- 1/2 slices multigrain or whole wheat bread or 3/4 cup bread crumbs;
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk;
- 1/4 cup fat-free feta cheese, crumbled;
- 1/2 cup scallions, minced;
- 1/2 tsp salt;
- 2 tsp dried oregano;
- 1 egg, lightly beaten;
- 1 pound 99% fat-free ground turkey breast;
- Cooking spray;
- 1 tsp garlic, minced;
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes;
- 1 jar (24 oz) pasta sauce;
- Fresh-ground black pepper, to taste;
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous;
- 1 cup water;
- 6 Tbsp fat-free feta cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- To make bread crumbs: Toast 1½ slices bread. Keep the crust on, add to blender or food processor and pulse into crumbs. Or, use ¾ cup store-bought bread crumbs.
- In a large bowl, add bread crumbs, milk, feta cheese, scallions, salt, oregano, and egg. Mix well. Stir in ground turkey and mix well. Shape mixture into balls using 1 rounded tablespoon of turkey mixture. Place on baking sheet. You should have 24 meatballs. Bake in oven for 15 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- To make the sauce while the meatballs are baking: Coat a medium size pot with cooking spray. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 1 minute. Sir in pasta sauce and heat. When meatballs are ready, carefully add them to pasta sauce.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- To make couscous: In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup couscous. Cover and let sit 5 minutes until all water is absorbed.
- To Serve: Spoon in each bowl or plate ½ cup couscous. Top couscous with 4 meatballs and about ⅓ cup sauce. Sprinkle the top of each serving with 1 tablespoon feta cheese.
- This dish freezes great. Pack in individual serving containers. Place couscous on the bottom. Top with meatballs, sauce and feta cheese.
- Makes 6 servings (each serving, ½ cup couscous, 4 meatballs, about ⅓ cup sauce and 1 tablespoon feta cheese)
III- Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
1 Serving = 4 meatballs, 1/2 cup couscous, 1/3 cup sauce and 1 Tbsp feta cheese.
- 312 calories;
- Fat: 3g;
- Carbs: 41g;
- Fiber: 7g
- Sugar: 12g.
- Protein: 30g;
Smart Points Value : 8
Want to Eat Tasty and Healthy?
Recipes delivered right to your inbox!